The Quassaick Bridge Fire District of the Town of New Windsor, County of Orange, hereby adopts the following Code of Ethics setting forth for the guidance of it’s officers and Employees the standards of conduct reasonably expected of them.
1) “ Contract” means any claim, amount or demand against or agreement with the Fire District, express or implied and shall include the designation of a depository of public funds and the designation of a newspaper, including but not limit to an official newspaper, for the publication of any notice or resolution or other proceeding where such publication is required or authorized by law.
2) “Interest” means a director indirect pecuniary or material benefit accruing to a Fire District officer or employee as the result of a contract with the Fire District which such officer or employee serves. For the purpose of this Code of Ethics a Fire District officer or employee shall be deemed to have an interest in the contract of (A) a spouse, minor child or dependent, except a contract of employment with the Fire District which such officer or employee serves, (B) a firm partnership or association of which such officer, director or employee and (C) a corporation of which such officer or employee is an officer, director or employee and (D) a corporation of which any stock is owned or controlled directly or indirectly by such officer or employee.
3) “Officer or Employee” means a Fire District Commissioner, Fire District Secretary, Fire District Treasurer, Fire District Deputy Treasurer, Fire District Chief, Fire District Assistant Chief and Employees of the Fire District. No person shall deemed to be a Fire District Officer or Employee solely by reason of being a Volunteer Firefighter, except a Fire chief or Assistant Fire Chief.
Conflicts Of Interest
1) No officer or employee of the Fire district shall have any interest in any contract with the Fire district of which he or she is an officer or employee, when such officer or employee, individually or as a member of the Board of Fire commissioners, has the power or duty to negotiate, prepare, authorize or approve the contract or authorize or approve payment there under.
2) No officer or employee of the Fire district shall audit bills or claims under a contract in which such officer or employee has an interest.
3) No officer or employee of the Fire district who has an interest in a contract shall appoint an officer or employee who shall have the power to negotiate, prepare, authorize or approve such contract or authorize or approve payment there under or audit bills or claims under such contract.
4) No Fire district Treasurer or Deputy treasurer shall have an interest greater than 5% of the outstanding stock in a bank or trust company designated as a depository, paying agent, registered agent or for investment of funds of the Fire District of which he or she is Treasurer or Deputy Treasurer.
Disclosure Of Interest
Any Fire district officer or employee who has, will have, or later acquires an interest in any actual or proposed contract with the Fire district of which he or she is an officer or employee, shall publicly disclose the nature and extent of such interest in writing to the Board Of Fire Commissioners as soon as he or she has knowledge of such actual or prospective interest. Such written disclosure shall be made part of the Fire District minutes. Once disclosure has been made with respect to an interest in a contract with a particular person, firm, corporation or association, no further disclosures need to be made with respect to additional contracts with the same party during the remainder of the year.
1) No Fire District officer or employee shall directly or indirectly solicit any gift, or accept or receive any gift in the performance of his or her official duties that was intended as a reward for any official action on his or her part.
2) No Fire District officer or employee shall disclose confidential information acquired in the course of official duties or use such information to further his or her personal interest.
3) No Fire District officer or employee shall receive or agree to receive compensation from others for services to be rendered in relation to any matter pending before the Board Of Fire Commissioners.
Adopted by the Board Of Fire Commissioners of the Quassaick Bridge Fire District on April 10, 2007.